Skip to main content

Lock Up Your Burglars! He Returns to Europe.

I'm writing this in a mix of excitement and raw panic, because in just a week's time I'll be in Nottingham, enjoying Bold Strokes Books's UK Festival at Waterstones.

A week later, I'll also be in Berlin for the second ever Euro Pride Con. Somewhere in there I'm also meeting up with friends in a couple of other cities, so all up, it's a wonderful two weeks for me doing three things I love - talking books, catching up with friends, and exploring Europe.

And I'll be doing it on crutches!

Yes, about a month ago, the gods decided to, as my British friends would no doubt say 'have a laugh,' and shit me to tears test my fortitude, causing me to fall and dislocate a good portion of my midfoot. This stranded me on crutches for 2+ months, dropping me in the deep end of the Canadian healthcare system.

Travel insurance, peeps. Go nowhere without it!

All the same, I am super excited for this trip. It's not my first trip to the UK, but it is my first going outside of London - which many would say qualifies it as my first trip to the UK. And as much as I loved London, I never quite managed to shake the knowledge that I was in a 'tourist' city, mostly because I think it was my first time, and though I spent almost a week there, I was based in Soho, which was great for theatre and some of the more historic bars, but, if we're honest, has definitely been beset by the gentrification demons. Maybe London's new mayor can help turn or slow the tide. Who knows? This has been discussed to death by folks far more knowledgeable than I.

There were many aspects of London I loved, of course, but by far my favourite day was spent with a friend in Greenwich after a Sunday lunch in a pub partly owned by none other than Sir Ian McKellen. (Yes, shamelessly flaunting my nerdy tourist card now.) We ended the day with a show at the iconic Royal Vauxhall Tavern (Calling it. Charlie Hides is one of our generation's greatest living drag stars), and it occurred to me afterward that this was as close to a perfect day out in London as I'd had in my time there. Why? Perhaps because we'd completely bypassed the tourist attractions, taken a break from Soho, and reminded...well, me at least, that this was a city where people still lived, played, and loved.

What's this got to do with Nottingham? I'm looking forward to seeing a bit of the UK outside of London altogether. Is it stupid to think of that day out in Greenwich as a taste of the England I'd always imagined, and to say now I want more? Maybe. Don't know. Don't care. I'm looking forward to it, and to getting a more balanced view on the country, and of course, to meet and chat with some UK authors and readers.

As for Berlin, what else can I say? I've had countless days like my 'Greenwich' day in this city, and my love affair with it just keeps getting stronger. At this point, I'm wondering if Germany should consider a new tourism slogan - 'Last in the Eurovision. First for coolest capital.'

Needs work? Yeah, okay, probably.

I'm also looking forward to meeting the variety of authors and readers from across Europe and elsewhere who'll be at EPC. I'd love to be all fancy and do a bilingual reading, but I fear any attending Francophones would flee the room in either tears or a blind rage, so I'll be sticking to English this time. I had hoped to make it to Munich last year, but no luck. So consider this my making up for it, now armed with a new book in Puppet Boy, plus another new book upcoming.

Will I see you in Nottingham or Berlin? Head to my website for all my event listings, including web links for Bold Strokes Books Festival and Euro Pride Con.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Death of a Cluster: Why Sense8 is Exactly the TV Cancellation We Don't Need in 2017

Sense8 is dead. Long live Sense8.

Arguably the most original of Netflix's original series has been unceremoniously canned after just two short seasons, leaving fans to speculate why, and flood the internet with outrage (to which I’m… now going to contribute). As I began writing this, a petition to renew Sense8 for a third season had collected just shy of half a million signatures with no sign of slowing. And for the first time in the history of cancelled shows, I’ve added my name to it. Because I think, for the first time in my life, I’m genuinely pissed that a TV show has been prematurely shafted.



Why did Sense8 stir me and so many others to action in a way that, say, the quiet, sensitive genius of Lookingcouldn't? Certainly, it has something to do with closure. Looking ended on an inconclusive, but logical and satisfying note, while Sense8 has clearly been pulled mid-flight after a rushed final episode ending in a cliff-hanger. Maybe it’s because Sense8 was a genuine artisti…

Pre-Order Now for GRL 2017

I am now accepting pre-orders of all three of my novels for collection at GRL. Simply pre-order using this form, arrange payment via email, and collect your books at the con.
I am offering an exclusive deal for GRL attendees. Order both The Beast Without and The Orchard of Flesh together for just $25 (save $8 on GRL prices, or a whopping $18 on Amazon's price). 
In addition, those who pre-order will get to reserve a swag torch keyring in their preferred colour. I'm bringing these to GRL in strictly limited numbers, so this is a great way to make sure you get the one you want.
Pre-order your books here and I'll be in touch asap via email. Please note, orders must be placed by September 30.